Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Day 5: Moncks Corner to Sumter, SC

Well, today was an adventure. We started off with a pretty smooth ride...until I saw 7 other riders backtracking back. We had missed the turn and biked 10 miles in the wrong direction. Luckily, we kept our cool and rerouted (thank goodness for smart phones). 

It actually ended up being my favorite back roads we have been on. There were so many shady trees and definitely a safer road. The dogs can be aggressive though but they are easy to fight off if you  yell at them. I ended up biking with Laini and it was so much fun! We chalked "you can do it" and so many riders said that it helped them keep going when they were giving up hope. I was really happy that I could pay it forward the encouragement since so many of them have motivated me. 

The lunch stop was a lot of fun. I drank sour milk and didn't even notice because our standards for food have lowered so much. I knew it was thick so I said, "hmm taste like ice cream." Six other riders drank it after me and then Dan tried it with a, "what is this!? This is sour and expired." Oops. 

The end of the day was hard because a 60 mile day turned into an 80 mile which most people were not mentally prepared for. 


I've decided that in Bike and Build days there are two days built in. The day is biking and the night is hang out time. We ended up jumping in the lake and swimming. There was also a game of ultimate and a dance party to Ellie Goulding in the parking lot. So even though we have early mornings, we still have a late night. We are living the summer to the fullest. 


No comments:

Post a Comment